Welcome!

I hope you have as much fun trying these recipes as I have had posting them. I love to cook and I love to share recipes with others... please feel free to try any and leave some love as you do! Also feel free to share any that you have, I'm willing to try anything new! The kitchen really is fun with a little love and laughter.... and some dancing!

Tuesday, September 21, 2010

A Snack: Pepper Jelly!

I've really been trying to post a new recipe every day, but let's face it. I don't cook everyday. And I would {HOPE} you don't cook everyday either! A girl needs a day off once in a while! Usually we have two LO (left over) nights a week. Usually Tuesday/Thursday. But last night I was just too sore to stand up, so it turned into our first LO night of the week! Tonight I'm making Spaghetti and I'm uber excited. I'll post that tomorrow!

But for now... a snack food. And a delicious one at that. I've heard of Pepper Jelly before, but the idea came up again as I was bored this weekend and doing a little blog reading. I can't remember exactly whose blog it was that listed the recipe, but it was someone from our old ward. I wasn't sure how it was going to taste, but I figured it was worth a try.
So 13 Bell Peppers, about 20 Jalapenos, 2 jars of Honey, an entire bottle of Cider Vinegar and some sugar later... I have 14.5 pints of Pepper Jelly!!

So far I've only tasted it on Wheat Thins (well the cheap GV version) with cream cheese. Yum!!!
Please let me know if you come up with any other good uses for this! I have LOTS to use up now!!

Enjoy!

This makes 12 (4 oz) jars or 6 (8 oz) jars of jelly.


Ingredients:


4 1/2 cups finely chopped green bell pepper (about 4 large)
1/2 cup finely chopped jalapeño pepper (about 8 small)
1 1/4 cups cider vinegar
1 pkg (1.75 oz) Ball® No Sugar Needed Fruit Pectin
2 cups sugar
1 cup honey
Jelly Jars with Lids and Bands


Instructions:

1. PREPARE canner and jars so they will be ready.

2. COMBINE green bell peppers, jalapeño peppers and vinegar in a large saucepan. Gradually stir in pectin. Bring mixture to a full rolling boil that cannot be stirred down over high heat, stirring constantly.

3. ADD sugar and honey. Return mixture to a full rolling boil. Boil hard 3 minutes, stirring constantly. Remove from heat. Skim foam if necessary.

4. LADLE hot jelly into hot jars, leaving 1/4in. headspace. Wipe rim and center lid on jar. Screw band on until fingertip-tight.

5. PROCESS filled jars in boiling water for 15 minutes.

Note: When cutting or seeding hot peppers, wear rubber gloves to prevent hands from being burned.

No comments: