Welcome!

I hope you have as much fun trying these recipes as I have had posting them. I love to cook and I love to share recipes with others... please feel free to try any and leave some love as you do! Also feel free to share any that you have, I'm willing to try anything new! The kitchen really is fun with a little love and laughter.... and some dancing!

Saturday, February 11, 2012

Crock Pot Jambalaya

 Now that I live in the South, I thought I should probably start learning how to cook some good Southern food. I saw this recipe on Pinterest and it looked simple and yummy! Doing a little more research, I've discovered this looks more like Gumbo than actual Jambalaya... but it has the rice like Jambalaya. I did add more water than the recipe called for (I thought it was supposed to be "soup-y"!). So all y'all Southerners out there don't be hatin ok! I tried.
The recipe calls for "andouille sausage" well, according to ETNT, Aidells is the best sausage you could eat! Pretty tasty too!! (Found at local Publix)

Oh! And if you're like me and your Cajun Seasoning just happened to "disappear" magically when you needed it and you decide to opt for Creole Seasoning, don't throw in the full 2tsp it calls for, unless you like it HOT. Lesson learned. 
Learn from me (what I'd do differently next time is in parentheses)

Ingredients:

  • 1 pound skinless, boneless chicken breast halves - cut into 1 inch cubes (I used one breast)
  • 1 pound andouille sausage, sliced (1 - 12oz package worked perfect)
  • 1 (28 ounce) can diced tomatoes with juice
  • 1 large onion, chopped  (I'd do half)
  • 1 large green bell pepper, chopped
  • 1 cup chopped celery
  • 1 cup chicken broth
  • 2 teaspoons dried oregano (1tsp next time)
  • 2 teaspoons dried parsley (1tsp next time)
  • 2 teaspoons Cajun seasoning (if using Creole Seasoning, I'd use 1/2tsp - 1tsp)
  • 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
  • 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
  • 1 pound frozen cooked shrimp without tails (I used about 2 good handfuls of frozen, cooked shrimp, thrown in during the last 30 minutes)

Instructions:

  1. In a slow cooker, mix the chicken, sausage, tomatoes with juice, onion, green bell pepper, celery, and broth. Season with oregano, parsley, Cajun seasoning, cayenne pepper, and thyme.
  2. Cover, and cook 7 to 8 hours on Low, or 3 to 4 hours on High. Stir in the shrimp during the last 30 minutes of cook time.


No comments: