Welcome!

I hope you have as much fun trying these recipes as I have had posting them. I love to cook and I love to share recipes with others... please feel free to try any and leave some love as you do! Also feel free to share any that you have, I'm willing to try anything new! The kitchen really is fun with a little love and laughter.... and some dancing!

Thursday, March 17, 2011

St. Patty's Day recipe


Happy St. Patty's Day everyone!!
Am I the only one that has to set a reminder on their phone to remember today? I always get excited about it before it comes, and find the funniest/cutest GREEN things to wear.... then when the day actually comes, I usually forget. Not this year. I set a reminder. I planned a meal based around the holiday. My 2 yr old found a CUTE shirt (I already had one from 2 years ago). We have a hanging thing on our door. We were ready!


What was for dinner? Corned Beef Brisket with Cabbage (with roasted Yukon potatoes) of course!!


I've never made this meal myself, and I've only ever eaten it once... but it's definitely worth it for one night a year!! I do have to add a disclaimer here: DO NOT SCRIMP ON THE MEAT TO SAVE $1.50. Go all out and get the IRON CUT Brisket for $3/lb. I didn't. I went with the cheap-o Point Cut for $1.49/lb and even though the meat was tasty (what LITTLE meat was there....) it was not worth the money I saved. There was so much fat hidden inside.... I ended up with maybe 3 whole bites of meat for my dinner! Once again... GET THE IRON CUT. :) K... now for the recipe. It comes from Kraft. Totally delicious. Love the sauce.

Corned Beef w/ Cabbage

Ingredients:

3 lb. corned beef brisket with spice packet
1/2 cup chopped onions
2 cloves garlic, minced (I didn't have any fresh garlic, so I used garlic salt... still tasty!)
2 bay leaves
1 cup maple-flavored or pancake syrup
1/2 cup yellow mustard
1 Tbsp. KRAFT Prepared Horseradish
1 head cabbage, cut into wedges
(I added carrots)

Instructions:

PLACE meat in large saucepan; top with onions, spice packet, garlic and bay leaves. Add enough water to cover all ingredients; cover with lid. Bring to boil; simmer on medium-low heat 1 hour. Drain, reserving meat in pan. Remove and discard bay leaves.

ADD enough fresh water to saucepan to cover meat; cover with lid. Bring to boil; simmer on medium-low heat 2 to 3 hours or until meat is tender.

HEAT oven to 350ºF. Remove meat from pan, reserving liquid in pan; place meat in shallow baking pan. Mix syrup, mustard and horseradish; spoon half over meat. Reserve remaining syrup mixture for brushing onto cooked meat.

BAKE 20 min., brushing frequently with remaining syrup mixture. Meanwhile, add cabbage to reserved liquid in saucepan; cook 8 to 10 min. or until tender. (I added a handful of carrots with the cabbage, probably should cook them alone for 10-15min, then add cabbage for another 10min).

PLACE meat on platter; drizzle with pan drippings. Serve with cabbage


Roasted {Yukon Gold} Potatoes

Ingredients:

6-10 potatoes, washed, halved then quartered
olive oil
Salt and pepper
Italian Seasoning

Instructions:

Heat oven to 350. Lay potatoes onto rimmed baking sheet and drizzle with olive oil. Sprinkle with seasonings. Bake until tender, 25-45 minutes.

*If cooking alongside Beef Brisket, when down to the last 30min of boiling the meat, put the potatoes in the oven. Once Beef goes into the oven, stir the potatoes and allow to continue to cook until Beef is done. Both will finish at the same time. *

No comments: