Welcome!

I hope you have as much fun trying these recipes as I have had posting them. I love to cook and I love to share recipes with others... please feel free to try any and leave some love as you do! Also feel free to share any that you have, I'm willing to try anything new! The kitchen really is fun with a little love and laughter.... and some dancing!

Thursday, October 14, 2010

Best Beef Jerky


My recipe is for use with a dehydrator. Don't have one? Don't worry. Go HERE for a few different recipes for drying in an oven.

If you do have a dehydrator (don't you love it?! ) here is my recipe... I've had many people ask where I bought the jerky when they taste it. They just can't believe I made it myself!!

Drying your own jerky really is simple and costs so little! I used one roast (really any meaty roast, a rump roast is preferred, and if you get it on sale, you'll save a bundle!), 1/4 bottle of Worcestershire sauce and 1/4 bottle of soy sauce. That's about it. I missed the meat sale so my roast cost a bit more than planned... but still. 1oz of jerky from the store could run you close to $7! For the same amount of money you can get a whole GALLON freezer bag full of meat, made your way!


Beef Jerky

Ingredients:

Rump Roast - about 3lbs., sliced thinly (about 1/4" or 1/8" -- your butcher will gladly slice it for you!)
1/4C light brown sugar
1/4C Worcestershire sauce
1/4C low-sodium soy sauce
about 2TBS oyster sauce *optional (be careful if you have fish allergies)
2TBS. Season Salt
2-4TBS (depending on how hot you want it) freshly ground pepper (large ground)
red pepper flakes *optional again depending on heat factor
1TBS. garlic powder
1 TBS. onion powder

Instructions:

Whisk together marinade ingredients in large bowl. Separate meat slices into large baking dish or bowl big enough to hold. Cover with marinade. Let sit for at least 4 hours, to overnight (or a few days if you run out of room on your trays!).
Place meat slices onto jerky trays (if your dehydrator has "clean trays" be sure to use them. They make clean-up a whole lot easier!), in one layer. Set dehydrator according to manufacturer's instructions and allow to dry.
Allow to cool and store in ziplock bag, tightly closed. Or if storing for longer period, use a vacuum-sealed system.
* My dehydrator was set for 155 and it took about 12 hours, so I started it before bed and woke up to delicious jerky!

Mmm.... a favorite snack at our house!

No comments: