Welcome!

I hope you have as much fun trying these recipes as I have had posting them. I love to cook and I love to share recipes with others... please feel free to try any and leave some love as you do! Also feel free to share any that you have, I'm willing to try anything new! The kitchen really is fun with a little love and laughter.... and some dancing!

Saturday, October 2, 2010

Snack time! Fruit Leather/Fruit Roll-Up

My wonderful husband gave me a SWEET dehydrator for my birthday. We received one as a wedding gift and I used it quite a bit when we first moved to Utah, but it didn't last long. I went from 5 trays to 1. So I sold it at a yard sale. Most girls hate when their men get them kitchen appliances for gifts. I say, SWEET! He has seriously been given crap at checkouts for the gifts he gets me. But he listens to what I really WANT/NEED. And doesn't just get what he thinks I'd LIKE. Our first Christmas, he did give me a foot bath and such. Guess what. I used it, maybe 3 times? It's just too much work, and I don't have time for that. Last year, he gave me an electric skillet. LOVE IT! Hopefully one year I'll get that NuWave oven, or a Wok. Heaven! lol.

Anyway, back to the Fruit Leather at hand....



Have you ever tasted this flavor applesauce? My two year-old LOVES it! And that makes me happy, because it's so dang healthy! So I thought with my new handy-dandy dehydrator (that came with a fruit roll tray!), I'd make a fruit leather using said applesauce!

Doesn't it look pretty?!


Here's the recipe:

Pomegranate-Berry Fruit Leather

Ingredients:

3 cups applesauce (I actually used 2 Pomegranate cups, and 1 1/2pint homemade no-sugar applesauce)
2 cups berries (I used 1 berry pack from Schwans- strawberry/blueberry, and 1 C frozen strawberries)
about 1 C coconut water
1 packet Truvia

Instructions:

1. Lightly oil fruit roll tray.
2. Combine berries and applesauce into blender and puree, adding coconut water as needed. Add truvia, especially if berries are a little tart. Puree until smooth.
3. Carefully pour onto tray and spread out with spatula. Set dehydrator according to it's instructions (mine was 130-140 degrees for 4-10hrs).
4. Once completely dried (no bubbles or "wet" spots, easily removable), carefully cut into strips/triangles/whatever and wrap in plastic wrap.

Let me know of any of your favorite combinations! I'd love to try them!


And the best part? BOTH my boys (picky eaters) loved it!!!



**If you don't have a dehydrator at home, I HIGHLY recommend picking one up. With mine, I can dry soups/sauces, herbs, any veggies and fruit and especially jerky! One of my favorite items in the kitchen!

No comments: