Welcome!

I hope you have as much fun trying these recipes as I have had posting them. I love to cook and I love to share recipes with others... please feel free to try any and leave some love as you do! Also feel free to share any that you have, I'm willing to try anything new! The kitchen really is fun with a little love and laughter.... and some dancing!

Sunday, October 10, 2010

A Halloween Treat! Ghost cakes/cupcakes

Mine didn't turn out how it was supposed to... but you get the idea! Here's where I got my inspiration.

You can follow the recipe from Parenting, or do what I did. I just made up a box of Halloween Funfetti Cake Mix(I didn't have black Writing Icing, so I improvised with Orange glittery stuff!). My cupcake pan only holds 6, so rather than doing 4 batches separately, I do a pan of mini cakes (24), and 2 pans of cupcakes.
I gotta say one thing, I give big Kudos to those who bake cakes and use fondant icing on a normal basis. I've seen some AMAZING creations, and it seems like an easy enough task. But man, it's not. That stuff is thick and hard to work with. It takes a lot of talent to come up with those amazing cakes and other creations. I'll stick to dinner.
Anyway, back to the recipe.

Spooky Ghost Cakes

A popover mold is ideal for baking these spooky little cakes but you could use cut up pound cake instead under the white icing.

Ingredients:
1 stick unsalted butter plus extra for greasing
Half cup plus 1 tablespoon Superfine sugar
1 tsp vanilla essence
2 large eggs
One cup self-rising flour
Cornstarch for dusting
Non stick baking spray

1 x 24 oz box white rolled fondant icing
1 tube of black Writing Icing

Instructions:

1. Beat together the butter, sugar and vanilla essence until light and fluffy. Add one egg at a time adding a tablespoon of flour with each egg. Beat well and fold in the remaining flour.

2. Preheat the oven to 350F. Spoon the batter into a popover pan that has been sprayed with non stick baking spray and fill each molds till just over half full. Place on a baking tray and bake for 20 minutes. Remove from the oven and leave to cool. Allow to cool, cut off the top of the cakes to form a flat surface , then turn out onto a board or plate. Allow to cool completely.

Dust your work surface with cornstarch and roll out the icing . Cut out circles to drape over the cakes. You can use a saucer as a guide. Drape these over the sponge cakes to form ghosts. From the trimmings either use a mini cutter to cut out some tiny white oval shapes or roll out some tiny balls of white icing into oval shapes . Dampen them with a little water and stick them onto the front of the ghost. Use a blob of black Writing Icing for the pupils of the eyes.

MAKES 6 GHOULISH GHOST CAKES

No comments: