Welcome!

I hope you have as much fun trying these recipes as I have had posting them. I love to cook and I love to share recipes with others... please feel free to try any and leave some love as you do! Also feel free to share any that you have, I'm willing to try anything new! The kitchen really is fun with a little love and laughter.... and some dancing!

Thursday, November 18, 2010

Day #5 of Thanksgiving Posts: The Bird

I've heard some families have a Turkey for Thanksgiving and Ham or Prime Rib or something different and special for Christmas. Not us, all growing up we had turkey for both Thanksgiving and Christmas. And I loved it! My favorite Christmas tradition is driving around town looking at the lights on Christmas Eve and then coming home and breaking apart the bread for the stuffing. That was always my job (still is when I'm home! lol). And I love it. This is my mom's recipe and it's the same one I made last year. My first time ever making my own turkey, without any help, and it was just like being back home! Delicious!
Don't get lazy and not grate the carrots and potatoes. That's what makes the stuffing... I hope you can try this out and enjoy it as much as I have all these years!!

And TOMORROW starts the desserts! Y-U-M!!



Ingredients:


Whole turkey (with innards)
Poultry seasoning
salt and pepper
1C butter and 2TBS
Bag of bread, old
Carrots, peeled and grated
Potatoes, peeled and grated
Onion, diced
Celery, diced

Instructions:

1. Take a loaf of old bread and break each piece up into bite-size pieces into a large bowl.
2. Boil innards, until done, about 30 min over a medium boil.
3. Meanwhile place 2TBS butter in large saute pan or skillet with onion and celery. Saute until browned and softened. Add grated carrots and potatoes. Pour water from innards, simmer 30 minutes. Add salt, pepper, and poultry seasoning.
4. Pour over bread, mix well and refrigerate (preferably overnight).
5. Stuff turkey with stuffing, rub outside with 1C butter (more if needed) and sprinkle with salt and pepper.
6. Heat oven to 350, tent turkey with foil and cook until done. Take off foil and let brown for 10 minutes.

No comments: